By now, if you are an adult and you have never earned a high school diploma, you have heard all of the statistics related to high school diplomas and earning power. You know that you would likely make more money if you had a diploma (just as you might if you had a college degree). So I am not going to touch on that aspect. Instead, we are going to look at five common reasons for not going back to school and we will look at solutions.
- Cost. This can be one of those situations where you make a poor choice – penny wise and pound foolish – because you think it will be too expensive. One of the reasons for earning a high school diploma is that you will earn more money. So, yes, you might have to pay some money up-front, but it all works out in the end. Importantly, there are programs that are free and programs that allow you to make monthly payments.
- Availability of programs. Perhaps you live in a small town, so you think there isn’t much available. That may actually be true. That doesn’t mean, though, that you don’t have options. How about the next town over? How about a correspondence course? How about an online high school? All of these and more are options that could work for you.
- Time. You believe that you don’t have time to be a student. Well, many of these programs are quite flexible and you can work at alternative times during the day/week/month. Select your high school diploma program based on its flexibility. Ask questions about the time commitment.
- Family. This one goes with time. You don’t want to sacrifice family time for the sake of earning your diploma. I tend to look at this differently. Having your kids see you working hard to get your diploma can only be a good thing. They get to see how much you value education and how hard you are working at getting ahead in the world.
- Embarrassment. Yep. I have heard this a great many times. I don’t want to go back to get my diploma because it is embarrassing. While that may have once been true, have you considered trying an online high school? When you are online, no one knows how old you are (unless you tell them). This provides you with a great deal of privacy, but allows you to move forward at the same time.
What I am attempting to say is that there are many excuses for not getting your diploma. While there may be some validity to them, excuses are excuses. Take control of your life and learn to succeed. A high school diploma is within your grasp!